Cumin Lime Chicken has a Mexican or southwestern flare, is naturally gluten free, easy to make and everyone loves it. It’s one of those versatile chicken recipes that freezes well and can be served year round.
I like to measure all the sauce ingredients right in a 4-cup pyrex measuring cup. This little trick saves me a few dishes. I can use my immersion blender to puree the sauce right in the cup then pour it straight over the chicken.
Cook Once, Eat Twice
If you want more variety in your everyday dinners the Cook Once, Eat Twice philosophy is perfect. Cook Once, Eat Twice doesn’t mean you need to serve it the same way the second time around. This chicken can be cut into strips or chunks then wrapped in corn tortillas, mixed with cheese for a quesadilla, piled into taco shells or even shredded for a taco salad. So many options!
From Everyday to Gourmet
Chicken is both versatile and forgiving and those are two features busy cooks love. Company coming? No problem, take this tried and true everyday recipe and change the presentation. I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts for the nicest presentation. Take an extra minute to cut the chicken breasts into thin slices and lay them across a platter. Pour the sauce over top, garnish with fresh limes and that’s it.
I like to choose a tried and true main course for entertaining. That way I can spend some time making a nice salad and a special rice dish.
When I think gourmet I also think fresh. In Canada where I am there are no citrus trees and no neighbours dropping by with armloads of lemons and limes picked off their trees. I actually keep frozen orange juice concentrate just for recipes like this. I also use lemon and lime juice concentrate out of a bottle. If that works for you it’s fine with me. When I’m entertaining, that’s when I will go the extra mile and squeeze fresh oranges and limes for this sauce. Of course it elevates the taste but for an everyday dinner I’m pretty happy with what I can find in my fridge and freezer.
Let me know in the comments below if you made this recipe and what you thought.
More Recipes – Mexican Flavours
Click on the text on the image(s) to go to the recipe/blog post.
Cumin Lime Chicken
CUMIN LIME SAUCE
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup gluten free chicken stock
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- lime slices or wedges
CUMIN LIME SAUCE
- Measure sauce ingredients into a 4-cup pyrex measuring cup. Puree with an immersion blender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in sauté pan over medium high heat. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sauté chicken until browned, about 2 minutes per side.
- Pour sauce on top of chicken and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from sauce and cut into thin strips.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes to thicken slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return chicken to the pan.
- Serve chicken with plenty of sauce and garnish with lime. Serve rice on the side to soak up the sauce.