My friend Wendy, from Australia, recently came to visit me and I knew she would enjoy a dinner celebrating Alberta lamb. Given that it was a beautiful, late summer weekend Grilled Lamb Burgers was the winning choice.
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Mediterranean Lamb Burger
My friend and I both travelled to Greece many years ago so we love to share old travel stories. We also love Greek food so that’s why a Mediterranean lamb burger seemed like the perfect choice.
We bought fresh ground Alberta lamb from our local butcher, carefully mixed it with spices and grilled it to perfection. The fixins’ of tadziki, black olive mayonnaise, arugula, crumbled feta, red onion and cucumber slices made for a delicious Mediterranean taste.
I didn’t have any burger buns or a recipe to make them but I see restaurants offering gluten free burgers on sliced bread so that’s what I did. Udi’s Millet-Chia bread lightly toasted worked well. My husband, a bread lover at heart, is generally skeptical of all gluten free bread products. This bread passed the test with flying colours.
Tadziki and Tapenade for Lamb Burgers
We went the extra mile and made our own tadziki but store-bought would be just fine. For the mayonnaise I mixed plain old Miracle Whip with olive tapenade.
Tapenade is a popular dish from the south of France containing pureed or finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil. It should naturally be gluten free and every brand I have seen is. It is sometimes called olive paste and is sold in jars in well stocked grocery stores and specialty shops. Chopped Kalamata olives mixed with your choice of mayonnaise would work too.
So to enjoy the final days of summer I offer you these Mediterranean Grilled Lamb Burgers, dressed any way you like.
This recipe was adapted from Aida Mollenkamp. Her fabulous photo captured my husbands imagination. Let me know in the comments below if you tried it.
More Gluten Free Burger Goodness
Click on the text on the image to go to the recipe/blog post.
Mediterranean Grilled Lamb Burgers
- 1½ lb ground lamb
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 8-12 slices gluten free bread, toasted (we like Udi's Millet-Chia bread)
- olive mayonnaise (see below)
- thinly sliced red onion
- thinly sliced cucumber
- 2 Tbsp olive tapenade or pitted, chopped Kalamata olives
- ½ cup Miracle Whip or homemade mayonnaise
- In a bowl gently combine ground lamb, oregano, garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper and egg.
- Shape into 4-6 patties and place on a tray lined with wax paper.
- Grill patties 3-5 minutes per side, turning once. Resist the urge to push on the patties and squeeze out the juice, you want all that flavour.
- Toast bread slices. Allow people to dress their burgers to taste offering olive mayonnaise, tadziki, red onion, cucumber and arugula.