Halibut is a delicate, white fish with a succulent texture. According to my local fishmonger halibut season is just beginning so I suggest you treat yourself by making this delicious recipe for Hazelnut Lemon Halibut. I say treat because in my area halibut costs at least twice as much as snapper or cod, other fish that go well with this breading recipe. Regardless of the fish you choose this combination of hazelnuts and lemon zest is a delicious complement to any white fish.
The first gluten free cookbook I purchased was The Gluten-Free Chef Cooks What You Crave by Calgary based chef and author Brent Stoesz. He suggested many alternatives to coating foods and using the typical three part method he always starts with sweet rice flour. I often use sweet rice flour as a substitute for wheat flour to coat beef cubes in a stew, chicken strips in my Chicken Porto and several fish dishes. I keep a small jar of sweet rice flour in my cupboard along with the baking powder and baking soda and use it for this purpose. Experiment with gluten free breadcrumbs, cereal, coconut or anything crunchy. The panko breadcrumbs make a nice textured appearance.
Prep Once, Eat Twice for Hazelnut Lemon Halibut
You can half the hazelnut-breading part of this recipe if you are cooking for two or three. You can also make the full amount then divide it in half before you start. Use half then put the other half in the freezer (be sure to label it). I like to include the name of the recipe on the label so it reminds me what it is for. When I see that little label in the freezer it is like a dinner suggestion…from myself. (Oh yes, we can have fish one night this week.) I love it!
Make this breading recipe throughout the year with any fish. But when it’s halibut season try this Hazelnut Lemon Halibut. In the comments below, let me know what gluten free coatings you have tried and if you have a favourite.
|6 - 4 oz halibut fillets|
|BOWL #1 - DRY|
|½ cup sweet rice flour (AKA glutinous rice flour)|
|salt and pepper|
|BOWL #2 - WET|
|2 Tbsp cream|
|BOWL #3 - DRY – HAZELNUT BREADING|
|1 cup GF Panko breadcrumbs (or other GF breadcrumbs)|
|½ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped|
|zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped|
|2 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 2 tsp dried)|
|salt and pepper|
|2 Tbsp butter|
|2 Tbsp olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Assemble three bowls of ingredients for breading the fish.
- In bowl #1 mix sweet rice flour, salt and pepper.
- In bowl #2 beat the egg and cream together.
- In bowl #3 combine breadcrumbs, nuts, lemon zest, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the fish.
- Dredge fish in bowl #1 (seasoned flour)
- Dip in bowl #2 (egg mixture)
- Dredge in bowl #3 (hazelnut breading) pressing crumbs into the fish.
- Heat butter and oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add fish and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned, turn and cook for 3 minutes until browned.
- Place fish on a baking tray and bake in oven for 10 minutes or until done, depending on the thickness of the fish. Serve with lemon.