Maple Glazed Carrots is a gorgeous fall side dish that celebrates the best of the season. If you can get carrots from nearby all the better.
Fall is the time to enjoy root vegetables, especially if they were just dug from the garden. Even if you keep carrots in your fridge year round, this is the time to look for the freshest ones available and use them in new and different ways. Visit a Farmer’s Market if you can and you’ll see varieties of root vegetables you’ve never heard of.
My recipe for Roasted Root Vegetables is one I make all fall and winter changing the vegetable combinations and seasoning to go with my menu. I sometimes add a drizzle of maple syrup to that recipe just to switch it up.
When I dug up these carrots I wanted to do something a little different so Maple Glazed Carrots is a sweeter yet equally delicious way to prepare them.
Root Vegetable List
Here’s a list of some of the root vegetables available. Challenge yourself to cook with a root vegetable you haven’t used before.
PIN for later…
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
A Vegetable Garden – Food For Thought
Did anyone in your family have a vegetable garden when you were growing up? Both my mom and my grandmother did and at the end of summer we could pull carrots out of the soil, rub them clean and eat them. No one taught us where carrots came from we simply lived it.
If you’re the least bit interested in growing anything, carrots might just be the easiest vegetable to grow. Just add water and they’ll slowly grow all summer whether you’re at home or on vacation. Even the smallest patch of carrots will create an opportunity for children to see first hand where their food really comes from.
Get The Tools
To roast vegetables all you need is a baking sheet or two and some parchment paper.
Let me know in the comments below if you have a favourite carrot recipe you make in the fall.
More Recipes Using Root Vegetables
Click on the (hard to read) text on the image to go to the recipe/blog post.
Maple Glazed Carrots
- 1 lb whole carrots
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the carrots clean and let dry. Place on baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Microwave on low for 30 seconds. Stir to combine.
- Pour mixture over carrots and toss right on the baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, stirring half way through the cooking time. Watch carefully in the last few minutes and turn carrots as needed to prevent the sauce from burning around the edges.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Serve hot.