Sriracha Honey Chicken Wings cooked on the barbecue is the perfect summer Happy Hour food. Don’t default to wings out of a box. Gather on a deck with friends and enjoy!
Grilled vs Oven Baked Sriracha Honey Chicken Wings
Some Canadians enjoy grilling all winter. They make elaborate set-ups moving the barbecue inches from their patio door and creatively drape extension cords from afar to provide the light needed to cook in the dark. It may sound like an endurance test but there is something about the taste of grilled food that people love.
For the fair weather barbecuers this is the time to cook everything and anything on the grill. Some of your family favourite chicken recipes are transferable to chicken wings and cooking on the grill. See some of my favourite chicken recipes, cooked inside in winter and outside in summer, at the bottom of this post.
Best Method for Cooking Wings
If crispy wings is what you are after then try this method. When my teenage son wanted to learn to eat more heat we experimented with chicken wing recipes and this is now our Go To method. Sprinkling the raw wings with baking powder and spices creates a crispy coating as they cook. The wings can be served right off the grill with sauce on the side for dipping or simply toss them in a big bowl with the sauce and enjoy. Finger lickin’ good!
The Grilling Sheet
When I discovered this cool invention I wrote a post about the Reusable Grilling Sheet. The idea is brilliant; a heat-resistant, reusable sheet that goes on top of the grill yet still allows food to brown. Wash and reuse. Cut to any size you need. This is the perfect invention for people concerned about cross contamination. Read more about them in that post or just go buy a few at the barbecue store, kitchen store or Amazon and buy quality.
So, what’s cooking in your backyard?
Sriracha Honey Chicken Wings, Honey-Garlic, Salt & Pepper? Host a wing night and vote on your house favourites. Let me know in the comments below if this method worked in your kitchen.
More Recipes – Rubs and Sauces for Wings
All of these recipes would work well prepared with chicken wings.
|2½ lb chicken wings, separated (about 36 pieces)|
|2 Tbsp baking powder|
|2 tsp salt|
|1 tsp black pepper|
|1 tsp paprika|
|SRIRACHA HONEY SAUCE|
|1/3 cup honey|
|2-3 Tbsp Sriracha sauce (if you like the heat go for 3 Tbsp)|
|1 Tbsp rice vinegar|
|GARNISH – sesame seeds|
- SRIRACHA HONEY SAUCE - Combine honey, Sriracha and vinegar. Set aside.
- DRY MIX - Combine baking powder, salt, black pepper and paprika in a small bowl.
- 2-STEP PROCESS
- Sprinkle HALF the dry mix over the wings and toss gently. Let them sit until you are ready to cook.
- Again, sprinkle the remaining dry mix over the wings.
- Cook using your preferred method.
- GRILLING METHOD
- Set baking rack 5-inches above the heat (I used barbecue bricks to hold up the racks). Preheat barbecue.
- Place wings on rack in a single layer. Close lid and grill for 15-20 minutes. Turn chicken and grill another 15 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Transfer wings to large bowl and pour sauce on top. Toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
- OVEN BAKED METHOD
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line cookie sheet with foil and place cooking rack on top. Oil rack.
- Place wings on racks in single layer. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook another 20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Transfer wings to large bowl and pour sauce on top. Toss wings with sauce, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.