If you’re the one who takes veggies and dip to the party this Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree is for you. The simple broccoli triangle has a broccoli stem tree trunk and all the vegetables lay on top of the dip. That means it travels well and I guarantee it will brighten up any holiday table. Everyone loves to look at this platter!
When you want people to dig in you’ll need to tell them the dip is on the bottom.
PIN for later…
Homemade vs Store Bought Vegetable Dip
I like to make homemade as often as I can. Store bought dip is convenient but it always has an ingredient list. That’s why I have a collection of simple recipes for salad dressings, sauces and dips. In this recipe the sour cream gives this dip a nice tang and the mayonnaise balances it out. Vary the herbs to your liking.
Of course you can use any dip but for me this one is just part of the recipe.
Safe Habit to Avoid Cross Contact: Open New Every Time
Holiday entertaining may be the most challenging time for people on a restricted diet. If you need more strategies join online groups and you’ll find people sharing their experiences. There are as many ideas as there are people so adopt them for yourself.
Open New Every Time is one of my strategies. In my cooking classes and in my writing I often refer to this strategy and I practice it myself. This means I open a new jar of mayo and a new container of sour cream when I’m cooking for others. I’ll use up what’s left in my everyday cooking.
We all know cross contact is much more than just opening new containers. Over time people do learn and every little bit helps so share your ideas everywhere you go.
You never know who might be listening.
Get The Tools
All you need for this recipe is a large round glass platter, square or even rectangular. I use an unbreakable holiday one if I’m taking my tray out of the house.
‘Tis the season to enjoy the high fat, high calorie, sugar laden dishes but don’t forget the veggies. There’s always room for a Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree on any holiday table.
Originally posted December 2015, updated December 2021.
If you’re new here join our community and get your FREE resource for baking and cooking, 29 Tips I wish I knew when I started.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
New to gluten free? Check out our virtual and in-person Cooking Classes or visit NEW TO GLUTEN FREE.
More Recipes and Holiday Musings
Click on the text on the image(s) to go to the recipe/blog post.
Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree
EASY HOMEMADE VEGETABLE DIP
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 broccoli stem
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 10 cherry tomatoes
Make Vegetable Dip
- Combine all dip ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Spread dip over the entire tray.
MAKE CHRISTMAS TREE
- Create a tree trunk by cutting a piece of the broccoli stem in half horizontally. Place the tree trunk at the bottom of the tray.
- Using broccoli florets outline a tree starting with a piece at all three corners to create a triangle. Fill in the sides to create the shape then fill in the middle to finish your tree.
- Using cauliflower florets fill in around the tree to the edges of the tray.
- Decorate the tree with whole or halved cherry tomatoes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.