Aztec Chocolate Ice Cream combines chocolate and cinnamon with a bite from red chile flakes. A sweet lime glaze tops off this creamy dessert and it's the perfect end to any Mexican or Southwestern meal. Make the churning of the ice cream part of the event and it's one less thing for the host to do.
Homemade ice cream is a fun, easy family kind of dessert that's perfect for casual entertaining. Of course you can buy excellent ice cream free from every allergen including dairy. There are even many exciting flavours to choose from but sometimes the whole point is to make something from scratch. Just because you can.
PIN for later...
Custard Based Ice Cream - The Technique
A custard base contributes to the velvety smooth decadence of this chocolate ice cream. To make custard you simply heat egg yolks, cream and sugar, how hard can it be?
The technique is to stir the mixture until it thickens then remove it from the heat before the yolks scramble. Recipes often say, “stir with a wooden spoon until your finger drawn across the back of the spoon leaves a line.” Okay, I can do that. Then, like any normal person trying to figure out what that means I stand there stirring, swiping my finger across the spoon and wondering if that’s good enough. Is that a line or should it be more of a line?
You just need to make a custard based ice cream to know what I mean. My instructions say to pour the custard mixture into the chocolate through a strainer. I do this in case there are a few lumps on the bottom of the warm egg mixture and there always is. If you don't have that problem then you don't have to do that step.
Get The Tools
You only need an ice cream maker and a scoop. Buy yourself a good quality electric ice cream maker or the hand crank style Donvier ice cream maker. The hand crank one has no moving parts and I've had mine for more than twenty years. No matter what you buy keep the metal insert in my freezer and you're ready to make ice cream any time. My sister has the exact same ice cream maker so for large gatherings we double the recipe and use them both.
An ice cream maker is a perfect gift for any ice cream lover or maybe someone new to the gluten free diet. Making ice cream, trying new recipes and finding your favourites is always a fun project. For families who like challenges try a new recipe every month and let me know how it went.
In the comments below I'd love to hear any story you have about homemade ice cream.
New here? Join our community and get your FREE resource, the tips I wish I knew when I started cooking gluten free.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
Still haven't mastered gluten-free cooking? Check out our online Cooking Classes.
More Recipes - Frozen Desserts
Aztec Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup milk (I use 1% or 2%)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoon vanilla
- 2-3 limes zest only
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Put all chocolate in a medium bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and set aside. If not completely melted microwave another 30 seconds.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, honey, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Set aside while warming the milk.
- Combine milk and whipping cream in saucepan. Place over medium low and heat until hot to the touch.
- Add egg yolk mixture to warm milk and whisk to combine. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until your finger drawn across the back of the spoon leaves a line, about 4 minutes.
- Set a strainer over the bowl with the chocolate. Pour the custard mixture through the strainer into the bowl to strain out any lumps.
- Add pepper flakes and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Cool completely. Refrigerate overnight.
- Freeze according to the directions for your ice cream maker.
- Serve with lime glaze if desired.
- In a small saucepan heat sugar and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add lime zest and bring to a boil. Simmer until zest is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add vanilla and cool completely.
- Serve over Aztec Chocolate Ice Cream.