Salad with Beets, Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts features that under appreciated root vegetable, beets. The combination of roasted beets and creamy goat cheese makes a delicious autumn salad and the toasted pine nuts add a pleasing crunch. Beets come in a variety of colours so if you are buying yours at the market try any combination for a gorgeous presentation.
I picked all the beets from my garden last weekend and roasted a few packages of them. I like to do this so I can enjoy them in my lunch or in another salad during the week.
KITCHEN TIP - Prepare the packages with similar sized beets since the larger ones will take longer to cook.
Handling beets can stain your hands red and ruin your clothes. To prevent this you can wear an apron and use rubber gloves. Or just wish you had like I most often do. Once baked let the beets cool a bit so you can easily peel the skin off using your fingers or a knife. I put them into an airtight container and store them in the fridge for about a week and use them in salads.
PIN for later...
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Shallot Vinaigrette for Everyday Salads
As a young cook I created the habit of making my own salad dressing and I still do that. I didn't care for the additives and artificial flavours in store bought dressings. I can make a simple vinaigrette dressing in less than two minutes from the selection of oils and vinegars in my pantry. This Shallot Vinaigrette is just enough for the salad with a little leftover to put in a container for my lunch. Double the recipe if you want some extra.
Get The Tools
You don’t need a lot of tools for salad making but you need some basics. My list includes:
- An awesome knife, I love my 10-inch Chef’s knife
- A sturdy extra large cutting board
- I use my immersion blender to fully emulsify oil and vinegar. Just as often I simply use a whisk to make a quick dressing in a small bowl or measure the oil and vinegar directly into a jar and shake vigorously.
- Both salad dressing bottles and 1-cup Mason jars are great for storing homemade salad dressing.
- A gorgeous wooden salad bowl or a simple white or clear glass platter will be used over and over.
Let me know if you tried this Salad with Beets, Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts and how you adjusted it.
More Beet Recipes
Salad with Beets, Goat Cheese and Pine Nuts
- 4 small beets*
- 4 cups greens (any soft lettuce combination)
- ½ cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro or mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wrap beets in a foil package and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Cool slightly, peel and cut into chunks. Set aside.
- Whisk all ingredients in a small jar. Can be made in advance.
- In a large salad bowl toss lettuce using only as much vinaigrette as needed. Transfer to 4 plates.
- Scatter beets and small bits of the goat cheese over the greens.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Garnish with cilantro or mint leaves if desired.