Pomegranate molasses is thick, dark syrup made by reducing pomegranate juice. The juice comes from pomegranate arils and when reduced to the thickness of molasses it has that same unique taste. It's a concentrated combination of sweet and sour that adds acidity to many dishes.
Pomegranate molasses might be one of those weird ingredients but to experience the variety of flavours from cuisines around the world you need to try some unfamiliar ingredients.
I use it in Lebanese and Persian recipes and recently bought some to make Persian Chicken Stew. I've been experimenting with it ever since and a few of you wanted to know more ways to use it so this post is an overview on pomegranate molasses with suggestions for substitutions.
Pomegranate Molasses vs Concentrate vs Syrup
Pomegranate molasses is the same as pomegranate concentrate and pomegranate syrup. Use the amount called for in any recipe using these names.
Is Pomegranate Molasses Gluten Free?
Pomegranate molasses is gluten free. Seasoned celiacs know that food manufacturers can sneak wheat into anything so remember to always check the label.
How to Use Pomegranate Molasses
Adventurous cooks need multiple ways to use all the ingredients they buy. Like balsamic vinegar, a little goes a long way so let that guide you as you experiment.
- Add depth of flavour to your favourite hummus and enjoy.
- Thin hummus with water or oil and drizzle it on roasted vegetables.
- Brush pomegranate molasses on chicken as a glaze.
- Add it to soups, stews, salad dressing or marinades.
- Grenadine syrup is a sweetener made from pomegranates that is used in bar drinks. For something less sweet try a bit of pomegranate molasses in sparkling cocktails.
PIN for later...
Substitutes for Pomegranate Molasses
There’s no real substitute for the unique flavour of pomegranate molasses but you can use a substitute for a similar result.
- Sprinkle fresh pomegranate seeds on your dish instead for a hint of that unique taste.
- Use pomegranate juice and a bit of sweetener (sugar, honey or maple syrup) in any recipes.
- Substitute the full amount with lemon or lime juice, with or without sweetener.
Where To Buy Pomegranate Molasses
I buy pomegranate molasses at a Middle Eastern grocery store near me but you can find if on Amazon and probably have it by tomorrow.
I'd love to hear what you're making with pomegranate molasses. Watch for my Middle Eastern Bowl coming soon.
When are pomegranates in season?
Pomegranate season goes from October through January but where I live I don't think I start to see them until November. As soon as I do I think of recipes that use fresh pomegranates as well as the molasses and juice that I can use year round.
Here's my go-to list of pomegranate recipes.
- Pomegranate Pear Guacamole
- Persian Chicken Stew
- Prosecco Berry Sangria
- Falafel Bowl with Pomegranate Tahini Dressing
New here? Join our community and get your FREE resource, the tips I wish I knew when I started cooking gluten free.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
Still haven't mastered gluten-free cooking? Check out our online Cooking Classes.