Pomegranate molasses is thick, dark syrup made by reducing pomegranate juice. The juice comes from pomegranate arils and the molasses has that same unique taste. It’s a concentrated combination of sweet and sour that adds acidity to many dishes.
Pomegranate molasses might be one of those weird ingredients but to experience the variety of flavours from cuisines around the world you need to try some unfamiliar ingredients.
I use it in Lebanese and Persian recipes and recently bought some to make Persian Chicken Stew. I’ve been experimenting with it ever since and a few of you wanted to know more ways to use it so this post is an overview on pomegranate molasses with suggestions for substitutions.
Pomegranate Molasses vs Concentrate vs Syrup
Pomegranate molasses is the same as pomegranate concentrate and pomegranate syrup. Use the amount called for in any recipe using these names.
Is Pomegranate Molasses Gluten Free?
Pomegranate molasses is gluten free. Seasoned celiacs know that food manufacturers can sneak wheat into anything so remember to always check the label.
How to Use Pomegranate Molasses
Adventurous cooks need multiple ways to use all the ingredients they buy. Like balsamic vinegar, a little goes a long way so let that guide you as you experiment.
- Add depth of flavour to your favourite hummus and enjoy.
- Thin hummus with water or oil and drizzle it on roasted vegetables.
- Brush pomegranate molasses on chicken as a glaze.
- Add it to soups, stews, salad dressing or marinades.
- Grenadine syrup is a sweetener made from pomegranates that is used in bar drinks. For something less sweet try a bit of pomegranate molasses in sparkling cocktails.
PIN Pomegranate Molasses for later…
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Substitutes for Pomegranate Molasses
There’s no real substitute for the unique flavour of pomegranate molasses but you can use a substitute for a similar result.
- Sprinkle fresh pomegranate seeds on your dish instead for a hint of that unique taste.
- Use pomegranate juice and a bit of sweetener (sugar, honey or maple syrup) in any recipes.
- Substitute the full amount with lemon or lime juice, with or without sweetener.
Where To Buy Pomegranate Molasses
I buy pomegranate molasses at a Middle Eastern grocery store near me but you can find if on Amazon and probably have it by tomorrow.
I’d love to hear what you’re making with pomegranate molasses. Watch for my Middle Eastern Bowl coming soon.
The Recipes – When is pomegranate season?
Pomegranate season goes from October through January but where I live I don’t start to see them until November and by January they’re getting hard to find. When I think of recipes I lump together anything using fresh pomegranates, the molasses and the juice. These are my go-to recipes for pomegranate.