Pumpkin Date Cake is a moist pumpkin cake filled with dates and nuts. I like to cook and bake with foods that are in season, even if I'm using canned pumpkin. It's still a fall recipe to me.
From salads to cookies and cakes to main courses I always think of the season. For me making something once or twice a year feels like trying a new recipe but knowing it’s a winner before you start. I look forward to making this Pumpkin Date Cake and sharing it with friends.
One of my colleagues absolutely adores pumpkin and the season is simply too short for her. As soon as the first day of fall is in sight on my calendar I think of her, buy some canned pumpkin and dig out this recipe.
PIN for later...
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Pumpkin Pie Filling vs Pumpkin Puree
It's worth noting that there are two kinds of pumpkin sold in cans. I buy pureed pumpkin and the ingredient list should simply say pumpkin. That's what you want.
Pumpkin pie filling is also sold in cans. The ingredient list will include pumpkin as well as spices and other ingredients you would never put in your pumpkin pie including gluten.
I always recommend sticking with plain canned pumpkin puree, it's had less handling and no fillers. You probably have all the spices you need in your kitchen already so dust off those little jars and use them.
Pumpkin Date Cake with a Gluten Free Flour Blend
How is your gluten free baking? I’m satisfied that my muffins, quick breads, pancakes, waffles, brownies and more will turn out with what I call my EGFG flour blend. I use this gluten free flour blend in many recipes on this site with cup measurements. This blend works for the kind of baking I typically do and it even works in some cookie recipes (not all but some).
If you're struggling to get the delicious results you hear people talk about check out these two posts; gluten free baking by weight or 11 Gluten Free Flour Recipes. If it's the taste relook at the flour blend you're using. If it's the structure take a careful look at how precise you're measuring and read all the tips I share in my posts. Simply making your own flour blend by weighing the flours can improve your results. Baking requires patience, practise and precise measurements.
There's lots to learn about making gluten free cookies, here are some resources;
Let me know in the comments below if you made this Pumpkin Date Cake.
New here? Join our community and get your FREE resource, the tips I wish I knew when I started cooking gluten free.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
Still haven't mastered gluten free cooking? Check out our online Cooking Classes.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Zingy Pumpkin Ginger Muffins
- Pumpkin Pie
- Iced Pumpkin Spice Cookies
- Frozen Pumpkin Mousse
- Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Pumpkin Date Cake
- 2½ cups EGFG gluten free flour blend*
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 lb pitted dates, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9”x13” baking pan or two 8-inch square baking pans.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Mix thoroughly and remove ¼ cup to toss with the dates.
- In a medium bowl toss the dates with ¼ flour mixture. Add pecans and set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer combine melted butter, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree, water, milk and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add flour mixture beating until incorporated.
- Add date and pecan mixture beating until combined. Finish stirring by hand if necessary.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Allow to cool before serving.
- Cut in squares and serve as is or with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce for a real treat.