This is my gluten free Chinese Black Bean Sauce recipe for Asian cooking. I couldn’t live without it!
When I first started cooking gluten free I couldn’t find a gluten free version of Asian black bean sauce so I dug out this old recipe and just made it. I have no idea where the recipe came from but my best guess would be a glossy food magazine from before the days of the internet. In those days Asian black bean sauce was a specialty ingredient that was difficult to find. Now you can buy a variety of black bean sauces, but every one I’ve seen contains wheat.
This homemade version takes less than ten minutes to make (less time than another trip to the store hunting for a gluten free version). The fermented black beans are the only special ingredient and I can easily buy them at an Asian market. The sauce keeps in the fridge for months as long as you always use a clean utensil. In my mind there really is no valid excuse not to make it.
PIN for later…
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Preserved Chinese Black Beans
To make this gluten free Chinese Black Bean Sauce you need preserved Chinese black beans. These black soybeans are also called fermented black beans or salted black beans. They are fragrant and add a unique, pungent taste wherever they are used. If you are interested in knowing more about them read my post titled Chinese black beans.
The beans are salty so are typically rinsed, I do this is a small strainer, then coarsely chopped before using. If you look closely at the photo you can see that my black beans have ginger in them. That is just how they come. Most recipes using the beans contain ginger and/or garlic so over time you can adjust your recipes for the amounts to suit your own taste.
Let me know in the comments below what you like to make with Chinese Black Bean Sauce.
More Recipes – Chinese Black Bean Sauce
If you like ‘winging it’ and wok cooking you’ll love the pungent flavour this sauce adds to your food. Here are some of the ways I use the beans and this Chinese Black Bean Sauce.
Click on the text on the image to go to the recipe/blog post.
Chinese Black Bean Sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 Tbsp Chinese black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup gluten free chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp cornstarch
- Rinse black beans, drain and finely chop. Set aside with garlic.
- In a liquid measuring cup measure chicken stock, soy sauce, Sherry, sugar and cornstarch. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium saucepan oven medium-high heat,
- Add black beans and garlic. Stir for about 30 seconds.
- Pour liquid into saucepan. Cook stirring continuously until sauce thickens, 2-4 minutes.
- When cool pour into clean jar and label it. Keeps in refrigerator for several months. Makes about ¾ cup of sauce.