Cranberry Orange Chicken is one of those sweet, sticky oven-baked dishes that everyone loves. Smart cooks only stock gluten free soy sauce in their pantry and make easy dishes like this all fall and winter.
This dish isn't fancy but that's what makes it appealing to students for a Friendsgiving dinner or for non-turkey people cooking for a small number of people at Thanksgiving.
How To Cook with a Seasonal Strategy
Seasonal cooking is a great strategy even when we're using canned and frozen ingredients. It's a great way to build variety into your everyday meals and gluten free cooks typically need more of this. Of course we also get to enjoy fresh produce at its' peak.
In Canada fresh cranberries start showing up in grocery stores along with pumpkins in early October in time for Canadian Thanksgiving. I buy fresh cranberries but that's when I also pick up a few cans of cranberry sauce and pumpkin puree. Then they're in my pantry and I'm ready to make some of my fall recipes.
Here's my short list of my favourite recipes using pumpkin and cranberry.
Recipes with Fresh Cranberries
Some of my fresh cranberries inevitably end up in the freezer, usually destined for muffins.
- Winter Greens with Cranberry Port Vinaigrette
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Cranberry Orange and Cilantro Salsa
- Cranberry Orange Scones
What to Make With Leftover Canned Cranberry Sauce
- This Warm Cranberry Dip is simple and tastes greater than the sum of its' parts. You've got to try it.
Recipes with Canned Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Pie
- Gingery Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Creme Brulee
- Frozen Pumpkin Mousse
- Pumpkin Ice Cream with caramel sauce
When the holiday rush is over cranberries and pumpkin will fall off my radar and I’m okay with that. Sure enough they will reappear next October and I'll get to make my favourite recipes all over again. This chicken dish is always one of them.
Let me know in the comments below if you usually have the ingredients on hand to make this cranberry orange chicken.
New here? Join our community and get your FREE resource, the tips I wish I knew when I started cooking gluten free.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
Still haven't mastered gluten-free cooking? Check out our online Cooking Classes.
Cranberry Orange Chicken
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs
CRANBERRY ORANGE SAUCE
- 1 can whole cranberry sauce (14 oz/397 g)
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup orange juice concentrate*
- ¼ cup gluten free soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine sauce ingredients in saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, decrease heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Put chicken in large baking dish and pour sauce over top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1-1½ hours basting chicken with sauce half way through the cooking time.