I know more than a few people who absolutely love Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread so that's why I used it to make this decadent Nutella Chocolate Mousse. I served it on the dessert buffet table at our big birthday party along with a White Chocolate Mousse and it looked sensational!
Gianduja vs Nutella vs Ferrero Rocher Chocolates
Gianduja is the original Italian paste made from chocolate and ground hazelnuts. High quality gianduja contains up to 50-percent hazelnuts while Nutella has less than 15-percent hazelnuts. So this recipe is for the everyday home cook who wants to make an easy dessert and probably has Nutella in their kitchen.
If you enjoy experimenting then I suggest you search for gianduja recipes and have fun cooking.
Ferrero Rocher, those gluten filled chocolates wrapped in gold foil, are premium chocolates made with gianduja. I haven’t tried making them but I know it would be a fun activity in someone’s kitchen and Nicole over at Gluten Free On A Shoestring has a recipe for you to try.
Hazelnuts vs Filberts
When you're in the baking aisle you're looking for hazelnuts or filberts. We're fortunate to have access to so many foods and with that luxury comes the confusion of varying names. In my kitchen I consider them the same.
PIN for later...
This post contains affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
How To Serve Dessert in Shot Glasses
Sometimes I like to serve a tried-and-true dessert and put my effort into the presentation. For this dessert buffet table I used red charger plates, a set of table mirrors, and a few pedestal trays because "everything looks better on a pedestal tray."
The final touch is the tiny disposable spoons so your guests can eat the dessert. They can be found at Dollar stores and hanging in random aisles at the grocery store. For a reusable option I have twelve espresso spoons that came with my everyday cutlery set.
Shot Glasses vs Liqueur Glasses
From my bartender days I think shot glasses have marks for measuring 1 or 1½ ounces. Then shot glasses became trendy so there are no rules and plenty of options. I’ve had my set of twelve liqueur glasses for years and I borrowed more from my friends so I had enough for my dessert buffet.
- 2.5 oz clear liqueur shot glasses
- 2 oz shot glasses with coloured base (these are the ones I have and I used in this photo)
- Smaller 1.2 oz clear, shot glasses
- The cutest ever 2 oz Mason jars with lids
- A vial shaped 2 oz Mason jar with lids
- Unique square-shaped 1.8 oz shot glasses
- Square Mini Cube 2oz
If there are Nutella lovers in your house I hope you give it a try. Let me know in the comments below how it turned out.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
More Creamy Dessert Recipes
Click on the text on the image(s) to go to the recipe/blog post.
Nutella Chocolate Mousse
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 cups whipping cream
- OPTIONAL FLAVOURING – 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur, espresso or strong coffee
- GARNISH – toasted hazelnuts or chocolate covered coffee beans
- Put Nutella in a large bowl. Microwave on half-power for 30 seconds to soften. Repeat if you can’t stir it.
- Add coffee flavouring if using.
- In a stand-mixer beat whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Add a big spoonful of whipped cream to the Nutella mixture. Gently fold in to lighten. Fold in remaining whipped cream until evenly combined.
- Divide into shot glasses or any small dishes. Chill mousse for 2 hours or overnight.
- Garnish as desired.