This Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree is made by placing the broccoli and cauliflower right on top of a simple homemade dip. Cherry tomato decorations finish it off and I guarantee it will be the best looking vegetable tray on any holiday table.
Holiday events often involve transporting food. This tray travels well because the dip holds the veggies in place. I use a round metal tray with a slight edge so I don't have to worry about anything sliding off the tray or breakage.
This homemade dip is simple but I just make my own. No matter what dip you use you'll need to encourage people to dig in because they're always wondering where the dip is.
Homemade Vegetable Dip
- sour cream
- Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- green onion
- dried dill weed
- broccoli florets and stem
- cauliflower florets
- cherry tomatoes
‘Tis the season to enjoy high fat, high calorie, sugar laden dishes but there's always room on the buffet for a veggie tray.
Tips to Avoid Cross Contact
Buffets are a nightmare for people with food restrictions. Anything that appeared to be safe to eat will not be safe after a few people start sharing utensils and using their hands.
You can get great tips and new strategies from experienced gluten free eaters in person and online groups. Here are three ideas to consider.
- Talk to the host in advance so you know what to expect. Bring the item you know you typically miss at these kind of events.
- Be the first at the buffet and take a generous portion because there is often no going back.
- Take individual servings of anything from veggies and dip in a Mason jar, fancy glasses with guacamole and even desserts like Key Lime Pie or Nutella Mousse. You can take only a few for those that need it or create an impressive display on the buffet.
I always like the impressive presentation. I also think it models allergy awareness and demonstrates to people that it isn't that hard to accommodate dietary needs.
Get The Tools
- Large round glass platter, square or even rectangular if you're at home.
- An unbreakable holiday tray is better for travel.
There’s always room for a Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree on any holiday table. Let me know if you tried it.
New here? Join our community and get your FREE resource, the tips I wish I knew when I started cooking gluten free.
Yes, I need 29 Tips For Cooking with Gluten Free Flour.
Still haven't mastered gluten free cooking? Check out our online Cooking Classes.
Vegetable and Dip Christmas Tree
EASY HOMEMADE VEGETABLE DIP
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 broccoli stem
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 10 cherry tomatoes
Make Vegetable Dip
- Combine all dip ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
- Spread dip over the entire tray.
MAKE CHRISTMAS TREE
- Create a tree trunk by cutting a piece of the broccoli stem in half horizontally. Place the tree trunk at the bottom of the tray.
- Using broccoli florets outline a tree starting with a piece at all three corners to create a triangle. Fill in the sides to create the shape then fill in the middle to finish your tree.
- Using cauliflower florets fill in around the tree to the edges of the tray.
- Decorate the tree with whole or halved cherry tomatoes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.