Have you got a good short list of gluten free desserts? My dessert list includes ice cream and this Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream is perfect for May and June when strawberries are in season. A simple no-cook recipe that is decadent.
Homemade ice cream is simple but everyone loves it and it can be a fun way to have your guests help out. I like to prepare the mixture in advance then ask someone to crank the ice cream as soon as they arrive. When it’s done just pop it into the freezer until it’s time for dessert.
Hand-Crank vs Electric Ice Cream Makers
The best ice cream maker is a simple machine that makes creamy delicious frozen desserts. My dad loved ice cream and over the years we bought him several different ice cream machines. This is what I learned.
- The old-fashioned hand-crank style requires adding ice and rock salt. It’s old-fashioned and fun once or twice but there are better options now.
- Electric ice cream makers require more attention than they should and the motor easily overheats. We’ve owned a few but the models are not memorable.
- Then my sister and I each bought the identical Donvier Ice Cream Maker. This was a plan so we could make a double batch of ice cream for family gatherings. We did that and now, over twenty years later, we still do that.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you purchase using these links your cost is the same, but I receive a few cents for every dollar spent. I appreciate your support for this website.
Get The Tools
I think an ice cream maker is a good investment but ‘thrifters’ might find one at a garage sale. The Donvier Ice Cream Maker is my pick. Buy one and get ready for summer.
Everyday to Gourmet – Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
I love taking a family favourite dessert and dressing it up for company. Some occasion’s need an extra special presentation so put a little time and effort into it to celebrate. Here are a few ideas to get you thinking.
- Portion ice cream into chilled wine or martini glasses, top with thinly sliced strawberries, a splash of orange liqueur.
- Make ice cream sundaes or a DIY Sundae Buffet with fresh fruit, chocolate sauce, chopped nuts, candy sprinkles and maraschino cherries.
- Ice cream sandwiches are great for a crowd and you can even have the presentation complete in the freezer. Just bring them out and serve. See my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches for more tips on this.
- An Ice Cream Cake is also a make ahead dessert that everyone loves. I’d choose a crumb crust (graham crackers or chocolate cookies) topped with this Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream. Be sure to add a fresh strawberry garnish after the cake comes out of the freezer.
- Another favourite is a brownie-ice cream cake. In this Raspberry Brownie Ice Cream Cake I layered the brownie with store bought ice cream and sorbet.
So many ideas! Are you excited about making summer desserts?
Organize For Success
I keep the metal insert stored in my freezer year round (wrapped in a large plastic bag) so I’m ready to make ice cream any time. The outer container and the paddle live in the original box at the back of an upper cupboard.
My list of favourite ice cream recipes includes some with a custard base (like the Aztec Chocolate Ice Cream below) as well as a few no-cook recipes like this Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.
Is someone in your house crazy about ice cream? If so start a recipe challenge to pick a favourite flavour for every month of the year.
Let me know in the comments below if you tried this ice cream and what favourites are on your list.
More Ice Cream Recipes
|425 g frozen strawberries in light syrup, thawed* (or 4 cups sliced strawberries sprinkled with ½ cup white sugar)|
|250 g cream cheese, room temperature|
|¾ cup white sugar|
|1 cup milk|
|1 Tbsp lemon juice|
|pinch of salt|
|½ cup whipping cream|
- In a food processor puree strawberries, cream cheese, sugar, milk, lemon juice and salt.
- Add whipping cream to pureed mixture and pour into frozen insert of an ice cream maker. Stir according to manufacturers directions. My hand-crank Donvier ice cream maker says turn the crank a few times every 2-3 minutes. The ice cream starts to freeze to the outside of the canister and each time you stir it you shave frozen ice cream off the sides. In about 20 minutes you have soft ice cream.
- Serve as is, topped with sliced strawberries or in a cone.
- For hard ice cream put the entire metal insert into the freezer for 1-2 hours before serving. This works well for a pre dinner activity and allows the ice cream to harden while you eat. After dinner serve and enjoy!
- Transfer ice cream to a container with a lid if not using the day it is made.
- *Frozen sweetened strawberries are no longer easy to find. Instead slice fresh strawberries, sprinkle with sugar and let rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours to create a juicy mixture.